top of page

Clerk FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a Township Board or Commission?

You would need to submit a letter of interest to the Township Supervisor or Clerk for whichever board or commission you are seeking to participate in.  A request could be an appointment or elected position. The Supervisor will provide copies of the request to the Township Board.

How can I get copies of records such as ordinances, minutes, resolutions, etc.?

The Clerk’s Office is the custodian of records in the community. For a small fee, residents can get copies of information. Freedom of Information Act forms can also be processed.  You would need to visit, call or email the Clerk’s Office.

Do I need a picture ID to vote?

Every Michigan voter who offers to vote in the polls must comply with the requirement by showing picture identification or signing an affidavit attesting that he or she is not in possession of picture identification. (See MCL 168.523 for voter identification requirement.)

Does Michigan allow early voting?

Michigan Voters can cast absentee ballots beginning 45 days prior to Election Day.  These ballots are tabulated on Election Day.

What are the requirements to register to vote?

To register to vote, you must be all of the following:

  • A U.S. citizen

  • At least 18 years old by Election Day

  • A resident of Michigan

  • A resident of the city or township where you are applying to register to vote.

If you want to check to see if you are registered, visit There you will find information about registering to vote and voting, voting equipment, polling place locations, state and local ballots, the candidates, campaign finance and more.

Clerk FAQs

How do I register to vote?

Eligible citizens may become registered to vote in a variety of ways, at any time through Election Day.  Individuals who register to vote within the 14-day period immediately preceding an election must appear in person at their city or township clerk’s office and provide proof of residency. 

Individuals using any other method must register to vote at least 15 days before Election Day and are not required to provide proof of residency.  Other methods of registration include an application obtained at one of the following locations: 

  • Your local Secretary of State branch office 

  • Your local county, city, or township clerk's office

  • Offices of several state agencies, like the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Community Health, and the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

  • Military recruitment centers

  • Voter registration drives

  • Online at

Michigan law states that the same address must be used for voter registration and driver's license purposes. That means, if the residence address you provide on the application differs from the address shown on a driver's license or personal identification card issued by the state of Michigan, the Secretary of State will automatically change your driver's license or personal ID card address to match the residence address entered on this form. If a change is made, the Secretary of State will mail you an address update sticker for your driver's license or personal ID card.

If you are living outside the U.S., you may send a Federal Postcard Application to register to vote. This application is distributed through U.S. embassies and military bases. It also serves as a way to request an absentee ballot.

Once registered will I receive proof of voter registration?

The township clerk will send you a voter registration card upon processing your application. Keep it in your wallet or purse so you know where to go to cast your ballot.

Do I have to register for each election?

No. Registration is permanent as long as you continue to live at the same address in Marquette Township.

If I move do I need to re-register to vote?

If you move to a new city or township, you must re-register. If you move within a city or township and are already registered to vote, you only need to update your address.

How do I vote?

The procedure involves four steps:
1. You sign an application to vote.
2. You show a picture ID or sign an affidavit attesting that you do not have one with you.
3. An election inspector makes sure your name is on the list of registered voters for the precinct.
4. You vote.
Upon request, poll workers will provide you with information on voting procedures before you enter the voting station. Poll workers are not permitted to tell you how to vote, and they may not attempt to influence your decision in any way.

Clerk FAQs

Absentee Voting

Who is Eligible for an Absent Voter Ballot?

Due to the passage of the statewide ballot proposal 18-3 in November 2018, all eligible and registered voters in Michigan may now request an absent voter ballot without providing a reason.

Check your voter registration at Michigan Voter Information Center

Requesting an Absent Voter Ballot

Your request for an absent voter ballot must be in writing and can be submitted to your city or township clerk. (For assistance in obtaining the address of your city or township clerk, see You must request an absent voter ballot by mailing the applicationlarge print application, a letter, a postcard, or a pre-printed application form obtained from your local clerk's office. Requests to have an absent voter ballot mailed to you must be received by your clerk no later than 5 p.m. the Friday before the election.

Once your request is received by the local clerk, your signature on the request will be checked against your voter registration record before a ballot is issued. You must be a registered voter to receive an absent voter ballot. Requests for absent voter ballots are processed immediately. Absent voter ballots may be issued to you at your home address or any address outside of your city or township of residence.

After receiving your absent voter ballot, you have until 8 p.m. on election day to complete the ballot and return it to the clerk's office. Your ballot will not be counted unless your signature is on the return envelope and matches your signature on file. If you received assistance voting the ballot, then the signature of the person who helped you must also be on the return envelope. Only you, a family member or person residing in your household, a mail carrier, or election official is authorized to deliver your signed absent voter ballot to your clerk's office.

If an emergency, such as a sudden illness or family death prevents you from reaching the polls on election day, you may request an emergency absent voter ballot. Requests for an emergency ballot must be submitted after the deadline for regular absent voter ballots has passed but before 4 p.m. on election day. The emergency must have occurred at a time which made it impossible for you to apply for a regular absent voter ballot. Please contact your local clerk for more information about emergency absent voter ballots.

When to request an emergency absentee ballot.

You may make an "emergency" request for an absentee ballot if you cannot attend the polls because of:

  • personal injury or illness

  • a family death or illness that requires you to leave your community for the entire time the polls are open on election day

The emergency must have occurred after 5:00 pm on Friday prior to the election.  If you are requesting an emergency absentee ballot, you may have someone deliver your written request for the ballot to your city or township clerk's office before 4 p.m. on election day.

Emergency ballots must be returned to the clerk's office by 8 p.m. on election day.

bottom of page